As a member-owner of Hunger Mountain Co-op, you are just that, an owner of the Co-op. Not many people can say that they own the store where they shop, but at our Co-op, this vision is a reality that anyone can be part of. Although you don’t need to be a member to shop, we encourage anyone over the age of 18 to join. When you become a member, your investment is used to build, strengthen, and run your Co-op. In turn, your Co-op is dedicated to supporting local farmers, bakers, and other local producers. This keeps our neighbors in business and assures that profits stay invested in our community.
• Member-only sales, including biweekly coupons, monthly specials, and member-owner appreciation days.
• Discounts on community workshops and at 100+ local Community Link businesses.
• Shopping discount eligibility though member labor, Co-op Cares, and senior discounts.
• Own the store where you shop, and be eligible for an annual patronage refund.
• Have a voice and a vote in our Co-op's future.
Our Co-op Cares program is a member-owner benefit intended to help our community increase access to healthy, local, and organic foods. Co-op members, who are currently receiving 3SquaresVT benefits or supplemental security income (SSI), or are participating in the WIC program or have completed a community partner verification letter, may apply for a 10 percent discount on their purchases.
How to apply
Submit a completed application and show your proof of eligibility to a staff member at the customer service desk. You may show a current WIC program verification of certification, SSI award letter, notice of decision from 3SquaresVT benefits, or a community partner verification letter. If you need help filling out your application, let us know.
You must be a Co-op member-owner to apply for the Co-op Cares discount. It is $15 to join, and you may be eligible for a grant to help you with your payment. Apply at the customer service desk.
Shopping on a budget
• Sign up to receive our biweekly eNews with all the latest ways to save.
• See all of our sales flyers and biweekly member-owner coupons.
• Save 5 percent when you shop during our Member-Owner Appreciation Day events.
• Look for the purple Co+op Basics tags in the store. These are affordable staples for everyone every day.
• Receive 20 percent off vitamins and supplements in our wellness department on Vitamin Wednesdays.
• Buy a pinch or a pound in our bulk department and save by purchasing just what you need.
• Check the orange box on the sales tags to compare prices by unit.
• Order in large quantities! Special ordering by the case saves money when shopping for your favorite items.
• Save on deeply discounted items at our Truckload Sales every spring and fall.
You can pay for your membership in the following ways:
• One payment of $180.
• $15 per fiscal year (July - June) until you reach $180, or installments of any size at any time, so long as they meet a minimum of $15 per fiscal year. Membership at our co-op is individual and the equity goal is presently at $180. With council approval, the equity goal may increase or decrease depending on our capital needs.
Fill out a new member-owner application and bring it to the customer service desk at the Co-op. Printed applications are also available in the store. Once you have filled out your application, make an initial equity payment of at least $15 or pay the full equity amount of $180.
If for any reason you wish to end your member-ownership, you can fill out an equity refund request form, available at the customer service desk or by contacting member-owner services. All equity refunds are subject to approval by the council at their next scheduled meeting. If approved, your equity investment will be refunded to you, less a $7 processing fee. If you decide to rejoin the Co-op within one year, you will be required to repay the amount of equity you were refunded per our Co-op bylaws.